Things to consider when a parent becomes involved with a new love interest.
Signs that New Love Interest May Not Be Legit:
- Older adult has evident cognitive impairment.
- Significant age disparity.
- Love interest has a history of prior relationships with partners which relationships benefited him/her or have otherwise gone badly.
- Love interest monitors calls and other communications of the older adult.
- Love interest isolates the older adult.
- Love interest works on the older adult to cause him/her to distrust family.
- Love interest shows no interest in mixing with the older adult’s family (rejects the olive branch).
Signs that You May Be Creating the Problem:
- Parent is fully competent.
- Parent is a social person who benefits significantly from having a mate.
- Parent seems happy and well cared for.
- In conversations with parent, you are unwilling to validate the relationship.
- New love interest is open to mixing with family, but family is not (rejects the olive branch).