Christopher W. Smith
26211 Central Park Blvd.,
Southfield, MI 48076
In The News
Christopher W. Smith concentrates his practice on special needs planning, elder law, and estate planning. Having a sister with Down Syndrome, Christopher has had a lifelong passion for special needs issues and has extended that passion to elder advocacy. Christopher is the current Chair of the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section for the State Bar of Michigan, and is a frequent speaker regarding elder and special needs issues. He is licensed to practice law in both Indiana and Michigan and was a litigation attorney in Indianapolis before moving to Michigan. Christopher graduated from Indiana University Maurer School of Law (Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif) where he also served as managing editor of the Indiana Law Journal. Prior to law school, Christopher majored in business and history at the University of Virginia and worked in finance for Procter & Gamble.
Christopher and his wife love to travel in and around Metro Detroit (often with fold-up bikes in tow) searching for hidden gems.
Some of his accomplishments and memberships include:
- Current Chair of the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section for the State Bar of Michigan
- Council Member, Elder Law and Disability Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Member of the Special Needs Alliance
- Selected as a “Rising Star” in both the Indiana edition of Super Lawyers Magazine (in 2009 and 2010) and the Michigan edition (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017).
- Volunteer Counselor, Michigan Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program, Inc.
- Volunteer, Guardianship Reviewer for the Oakland County Michigan Probate Court
- Past Volunteer, Elder Law and Advocacy Center in Wayne County, Michigan