Christopher W. Smith
26211 Central Park Blvd.,
Southfield, MI 48076
In The News
Christopher W. Smith concentrates his practice on special needs planning, elder law, and estate planning. Having a sister with Down Syndrome, Christopher has a lifelong passion for special needs issues and has extended that passion to elder advocacy. Christopher is the former Chair of the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section for the State Bar of Michigan, and is currently on the Board of Directors for the Special Needs Alliance. He devotes considerable time to Michigan and U.S. legislative matters as both the Chair of Legislative Committee for the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section of the State Bar of Michigan and as the Public Policy Co-Chair for the Special Needs Alliance. He is a frequent speaker and writer regarding elder and special needs issues, and is licensed to practice law in both Michigan and Indiana (where he was a litigation attorney in Indianapolis before moving to Michigan). Christopher graduated from Indiana University Maurer School of Law (Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif) where he also served as managing editor of the Indiana Law Journal. Prior to law school, Christopher majored in business and history at the University of Virginia and worked in finance for Procter & Gamble.
Christopher and his wife have one son, Julian, who all love to travel in and around Metro Detroit searching for hidden gems.
Some of his accomplishments and memberships include:
- Former Chair of the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section for the State Bar of Michigan
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Special Needs Alliance and Public Policy Co-Chair
- Council Member and Legislative Committee Chair, Elder Law and Disability Rights Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Member of the Michigan Attorney General’s Elder Abuse Task Force
- Member of the Huntington Woods Senior Advisory Committee
- Member National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Selected as a “Rising Star” in both the Indiana edition of Super Lawyers Magazine (in 2009 and 2010) and the Michigan edition (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017).
- Past Volunteer Counselor, Michigan Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program, Inc.
- Past Volunteer, Guardianship Reviewer for the Oakland County Michigan Probate Court
- Past Volunteer, Elder Law and Advocacy Center in Wayne County, Michigan